Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Someone dropped a small dog off she was getting around great…

Customer Question
Someone dropped a small...

Someone dropped a small dog off she was getting around great now she is having a hard time walking and getting up steps.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Lil Bit, I don't know her age

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?

It's a adult dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lil Bit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil?

No she eats good and does her business ok

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What breed of dog is Lil Bit?

Does she seem to have a lack of coordination in the rear end or walk with a hunch?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

she is a mixed breed small dog,yes her walking is getting worse,no sickness yet

Thanks for the information. My primary concern is that she has a herniated disk in the back. You may see reluctance to jump or go up and down stairs, walking with a hunched back, lack of coordination or even some pain when you pick up a certain way. I cannot rule out a metabolic issue that is causing weakness, but it seems less likely due to normal appetite and no vomiting or diarrhea. My best advice is to have your vet check her out, see if a herniated disk is possible with an exam, rule out other issues with blood work and start on some safe pain medications if that is normal. There are no human OTC pain medications that are considered completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.