Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is having a hard time going to the bathroom;

Customer Question
My dog is having...

My dog is having a hard time going to the bathroom; yesterday she was straining when she had to poop but today it is either liquid or when it is solid, it is slimy and almost looks like there is a casing around it. One of her eyes is bloodshot and has some greenish yellow discharge

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Nova - she is 11 months old now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nova?

She hasn't been drinking much water - I tried to give her pumpkin last night with her dinner to see if that helped with digestion

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Is she lethargic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing out of the ordinary - I don't think she ate a squeaker from her toy - No vomiting - she does not have her usual puppy energy and behavior

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend the slime and casing you are seeing in the feces is mucus; this is a sign that the large intestines (colon) are inflamed. When there is inflammation in the colon the patient gets the feeling of having to go and for this reason, they continue to strain when defecating. This can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

As far as the eye it sounds like she has an infection.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian