Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just had diarrhea with mucus and a few drops off

Customer Question
My dog just had...

My dog just had diarrhea with mucus and a few drops off blood. Should I hold off feeding him something bland now, or wait until his evening meal to feed him something bland? Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Just?

5 1/2 years.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your little one. What is his name? Has he had any vomiting? Is he eating anything new (food, treats, table scraps)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His name is***** vomiting. He was playful when we went out and this occurred. He might have had scraps over the weekend-I was not with him.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

I really like that name. One of my neighbors has a labradoddle with that name and my little dog loves to play with him! That little big of diarrhea with the blood and mucus could be due to him eating something that just didn't agree with his intestinal tract. As long as there is no vomiting, you can do the bland diet now to give the intestinal tract a break. I would feed a bland diet for a few days and see how that helps. IF he's not eating or vomiting, then the situation has upped itself to a more concerning level. At my ER, a very common cause for stools like this is eating some new food, treat or table scrap that just throws the intestinal tract off temporarily. Cat food can also cause this - this is what happens when my dog sneaks some of the cat food!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I just give him some chicken. I also have Tulane powder, should I use some of that on the chicken?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tylan powder

I would just do a combination of 1/3 chicken to 2/3 white rice. That should be the best starting point.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian