Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’ve noticed a swollen gland near the armpit of my staffy.

Customer Question
I’ve noticed a swollen...

I’ve noticed a swollen gland near the armpit of my staffy. I’m not sure what else to check to identify what potential problem is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

American staffy pure breed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. That is a breed of dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Tukay and he is 8 this year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tukay?

Not really. He has a small lump on his back that has been checked by a vet. Was advised it doesn’t appear concerning. That was a while ago. He eats chicken necks and minimal dry food. He has seasonal allergies and sometimes requires gay fever relief but apart from that he doesn’t show any issues. He is a tough dog though so he may just not shows signs of discomfort? Unlikely though. He eats well and appears healthy otherwise.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Tukay. A swollen / enlarged lymph node could be due to a couple of issues. It could be reactive where it is responding to an infection / antigen stimulation somewhere in the area that this lymph node drains. There cold actually be an infection in the actual gland. The other issue, and the most serious one, would be if it is enlarged due to cancer - lymphoma being the most common one. What I'd recommend is getting him to your vet so they can palpate that area and to then do a simple fine needle aspirate of it. This is where a needle is placed into it and some cells removed. It is done with the same size of needle as that used for doing vaccinations. They can stain the cells and look at them under a microscope to see if this warrants more consideration / treatment.