Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been drooling for hours! (9) what can I do to…

My dog has been...

My dog has been drooling for hours! (9) what can I do to help it stop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

BELLA 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BELLA?

I did not see her eat anything wrong. Maybe cat poopoo.

3/14/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella has been drooling for hours. I need to ask some questions to allow me to guide you.

1.Is Bella bright, alert and happy? Playing and eliminating normally?

2.Is she eating and drinking normally?

3.What was she doing or where was she just before you noticed the increased drooling?

5.Is she vomiting or has she vomited today or yesterday?

6. Does she have any facial swelling?

Drooling can be related to the inability to swallow (if she is eating and drinking normally that wouldn't be the case for her) or an allergic reaction (not likely without facial swelling).

Drooling can be related to nausea or something painful in her mouth. If you can look in her mouth look for any areas of redness or swelling, cuts or pieces of a stick or toy caught in her mouth, teeth or under her tongue.

If there isn't anything there I'm going to have you treat her for gastric upset.

To treat for this give her Pepcid AC (famotidine) at a dose of 0.25mg to 0.5mg per pound orally every 12 to 24 hours. This would be one half to one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight once to twice daily. Give her this for 7 to 10 days then slowly decrease the frequency and stop when you hit every 2nd day.

Rest her gastrointestinal tract for 12 hours, water is fine but no food. After that try introducing a bland diet. Make a homemade bland diet by boiling hamburger chunks (or ground chicken if she is sensitive to beef) until fully cooked (10 to 15 minutes, the color of fully cooked meat should have no red or pink) then mix in a 50:50 proportion with fully cooked plain white rice. Feed 1/4 of a cup per 10 pounds of dog 2 to 3 times daily. If she has diarrhea or she starts vomiting with the introduction of solid food she likely needs to see her veterinarian. If she stops drooling feed her the bland diet for 2 days then gradually start mixing in her regular food in increasing amounts over the next 3 to 4 days until she's off the bland diet and back on her regular food.

Please let me know if you have questions or if you see anything unusual in her mouth after your examination.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eating & drinking fine. 1) Fine. 3) ??? Maybe outside. But I was watching her. & didnt see her eat anything. No sticks. 5) no vomiting. 6) no swelling.

Thank you for the information.

If she is eating and drinking then her ability to swallow and chew are likely fine, and no swelling means an allergic reaction is unlikely.

She's an older girl so mouth pain from a bad (infected) tooth or gums, a mass in her mouth or perhaps something (a piece of a toy?) is caught between her teeth.

I would try to look in her mouth, and if you cannot see anything then trying a dose or two of an acid reducer (Pepcid) is worth trying.

If this continues she should see her veterinarian in the morning.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I did & she jumped up & acted like she was choking on something & gaged. Twice. She is lying down now & yes I will call her dr. In the am. Thank you so much!

It sounds like trying to look isn't worthwhile then.

She can have water until tomorrow morning but don't feed her breakfast, as it is very likely they will need to sedate her to get a good look into her mouth/throat, under her tongue, and up behind her soft palate.

If she will take a dose of an acid reducer they won't hurt, and may help. But if she gets very stressed trying to give her a dose skip it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Already done. She takes them all the time for her mast cell tumors.(that were removed. But keep them from coming back)

Ah, I see, this may be related to her Mast cell tumor disease process. As you know degranulating mast cells release histamines, and that can make a dog very nauseous.

It may be beneficial to give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She gets 4 a day & 1 Pepcid.
Thank you!

Very good, sounds like you have that covered then.

Ok, no breakfast tomorrow and off to her veterinarian.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok! Thank you so much!

Sorry I missed your reply, please let me know what they find today, thanks, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian