Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My step daughter's puppy got into some sugar and she is

My step daughter's puppy...

My step daughter's puppy got into some sugar and she is worried. I'm not with her so I really don't know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

He pooped some blood but it was bright red. She said he just vomited twice. He did have some water a little bit ago. She said he is laying down now but he is shacking

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He is 13 weeks old. He has had his shots and his second round of boosters. She just told me that he ate 2 packs of fun dip the candy

3/14/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

How long ago did he eat the candy?

About 4 or 5 hours ago. She was at school and then soccer practice so it was sometime in between then.
Should we be worried, he has ate some food and drank some water. But has vomited twice and has pooped with some blood but the blood was bright red.

Ok.

Fun dip candy is mainly sugar and is likely to only cause a gastric upset. That means you will likely see vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Often the diarrhea may have a little bit of blood in it from when they are straining with the diarrhea. This should only be about the size of a large coin. If it is more than that then this is a concern and you need to take your dog to the vet.

I would be holding off all food for 12 hours. Allow small amounts of access to water but not so much he gulps it down and then vomits it back up.

He should imrpove within 24 hours and the vomiting should lessen. If not then you need to visit your vet.

He may have diarrhea for a few days (with a little blood). This should settle down though and is not so much of a concern

Thank you so much!

My pleasure

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian