Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I noticed what looks like a fat globule just under the coat…

I noticed what looks like...
I noticed what looks like a fat globule just under the coat on the left side of my dog . Size is less than a handful a few inches in front of his left hind leg. It wasn't sensitive to the touch. He did not react in pain when it was manipulated.I'm very concerned. Please tell me if you could explain what's happening. He is eating very well. Has a good attitude. Loves to go to the park and walks without any problem. Even easily jumps onto beds and furniture.I nervously await your answer. Thank you
3/14/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your guy. What is his name? So you just felt something in the skin that is soft, squishy and mobile?

Spencer
I would say soft and mobile to an extent. But, I wouldn't say squishy like a gel pad.

Can you possibly take a picture of it and post it here for me to see it?

one moment. I will also send a video file, if that's possible.

The best place to have me see a video file would be if you can post it on youtube and then send me the link!

I will try

ok!

It's taking long than i thought.

No problem. I'm not a computer guru so it would take even longer if I tried it. With what you're describing, if there is is a lump under the skin in that area, it could be something very benign like a cyst or a lipoma. Older beagles can get these growths and they aren't that worrisome. Could it be something more concerning? That is a possibility too. What would be best is to have your vet do an exam and to most likely aspirate that lump to see what cells come from it under a microscope. IT may be something that isn't of concern and is left alone or it may be something that they recommend further treatment of with surgical removal.

It's not working. Thank you for your answer. I will have Spencer checked out.

Very good job on the pictures! That area is a location where this really shouldn't be something like a lymph node or a hernia. These are two other rule outs for "lumps" in areas other than this one. That spot for that bump, it could be the cyst or the lipoma that I talked about before. The best thing again is going to be to have your vet aspirate it to see what the cells from it look like. Hopefully it is a benign one that really doesn't need anything done for it. My own dog has a lipoma in that same area. I've removed it on her as it was growing faster and it was something that I saw as potentially getting big enough to affect mobility in her years down the road. If it is growing very slowly, then it shouldn't be a physical factor if it is a cyst or lipoma. With lumps, they are easier to remove when they are smaller. I'm hoping for the best for Spencer!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi Dillon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?