Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has blood in her stool andi. Willow - 13 weeks. It is…

She has blood in...

She has blood in her stool andi

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Willow - 13 weeks. It is also very mushy. We got her last Thursday from a breeder. She has had it since then.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Willow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willow?

She is a Westie. She eats well and drinks lots of water.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

First, congratulations on your new adoption! I hope you have many happy years together.

Unfortunately I am very concerned about parvovirus. Even if she has received 1-2 vaccinations the blood in the stool at this age parvo should be ruled out so please get her to your veterinarian or a veterinary er to test for this and begin treatment should be prudent. There is now a home therapy option for parvo but it does require a veterinary visit and medications dispensed by your veterinarian or the er.

If you chose to decline this route then please see below but again this is very strongly recommended. Puppies simply don't have the reserves of adult dogs and vomiting water in addition to bloody stools there is going to decline rapidly without medical intervention.

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright. Even if these are 2-3 minutes around the yard or house but if not that is alright too

Indications your puppy should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Again even with 1-2 vaccinations there is a risk for Parvovirus and this is the time of year that it is rampant in this country. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you very much doctor. I will get her there right away tomorrow. We have no er within 100’s of miles of us so hopefully we can get her right in.

I imagine they will be able to see her first thing, best wishes to you and your new beloved friend!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman