Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ibuprofen for hip sprain doseage? 13 year old dog jumped off…

Customer Question
Ibuprofen for hip sprain...

Ibuprofen for hip sprain doseage?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

13 year old dog jumped off chair sprained hip had trouble walking ok now wanted to give ibuprofen? Is that ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Hip

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

Seems to have slight hip pain mild limp

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

None

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Buggy 13 Years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Bugsy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

The only safe over the counter pain medications for dogs is aspirin (please no ibuprofen which can be toxic to dogs). An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also massage the area and rotate warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if your pet will allow it to provide relief

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian