Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I found a growth on my dogs tongue. Can i send you a picture…

I found a growth...

I found a growth on my dogs tongue. Can i send you a picture to look at for your opinion, Im still going to the vet in morning but I'm worried its cancer, and would like an opinion

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He has been taking gabapentin and carprofen for about 9 months, otherwise he still eats normal. He isn't nearly as active but is almost 10 years old and 175 lb great pyrenees

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Please send the photo through and I will be glad to look at it.

Use the paper clip icon above or just post the URL.

Regards,

Dr Scott

It uploaded OK, looking at it now ...

Our vet has always told us he has great teeth, I have never noticed anything growing in his mouth until just now. His last check up was 8 months ago and we did blood work before starting him on gabapentin and carprofen to help his arthritis. She said it was the best blood work for a dog his age and size she had ever seen in all her years of practice... Could this just be benign?

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Sadly this does look like a cancer of some sort, while I hope this is something benign I have to say that more often than not oral masses in the dog are malignant, but hold on and see what your vet says tomorrow, he or she will be able to assess the situation better than me from just the photo.

2. I know you will be looking for more information at this point so here is a link to an accurate article which covers oral tumours in the dog: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

how often is it just fatty tissue in their mouth? I'm truly devastated already.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. So sorry, judging from the photo this does not at all have the appearance of fatty tissue. In any case lipomas { Fatty tissue lumps } would be very rare in this sort of position

Regards,

Dr Scott

Calvin will be seeing his regular vet today. If she feels this looks malignant then its my wish that we start with the least invasive diagnostic test Would x-rays confirm anything and if lab work is recommended should he have cbc? This doesn't seem to be hurting him and if the vet thinks its malignant how long does Calvin have in your opinion. I know every case is different but I want the end of his life to be the best it can be.

Sorry for the late reply, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your message ...

1. X-rays might perhaps be helpful in terms of establishing a prognosis as they would show if the tumour had spread from it's present position to the local lymph node, and other organs such as the lungs or liver.

2. A comprehensive blood profile would be helpful as it would help establish your dog's general state of health and it could also point to spread of the tumour, high liver enzyme levels for example.

3. If the mass is in fact highly malignant then life expectancy could be as low as a couple of months, but this is " jumping the gun " a bit at this stage, things might perhaps be not quite so bad. Please let me know what your vet says ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi, Dr. Scott. Calvins vet made me feel much more at ease and while he didn't rule out cancer he did give us a lot of hopeful options for what it might be. He didn't do any X-rays but instead recommended surgery and having the mass removed and sent to a pathologist. The doctor seemed happy about the location of the tumor under his tongue and that he would be able to remove it and a good amount of the area around it without impacting Calvins mouth much at all. So... Tuesday were going for surgery and the vet said he should even be able to eat dinner as normal that night!!!! He also told me Calvin wasn't that old for 9 years old which I really loved. Thanks for your time and help and hopefully I caught this in time if its anything malignant.

Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how things were going, it sounds like you have a very good vet, that type of common sense approach will put your dog through the minimum of discomfort for now and through the biopsy you will have a much clearer idea what is going on and what your options will be.

Fingers crossed this turns out to be something which can be handled.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?