Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My English cocker isn't acting herself. She's sleeping alot…

Hi. My English cocker...

Hi. My English cocker isn't acting herself. She's sleeping alot and doesn't like to get out of her spot on the couch. Tail tucked between legs. She will eat if you bring it to her but otherwise not that interested.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cocker. What is the cocker's name and age?

Emma and 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Emma?

She is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?

No not at all. She does have anxiety but no other health issues

3/14/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok thanks. I'm a nurse. if that helps I've pushed around on her stomach. Assessed her paws, etc. Can't find pain any pain. Her nose is dry, my other cockers is wet. Her gums are pink.

Thanks for the further information, typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Emma is unwell, hopefully this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and has much less of an appetite makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course, other diagnoses are also possible. The condition of the nose in dogs is rarely a reliable diagnostic sign by the way.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Emma's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hi. I only have an oral therometer but could I use it rectally to take her temp?(and of course, throw it away).

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. If this is a human glass clinical thermometer then that should be just fine, just lubricate it well, gently insert it about half way and press it gently against the rectal wall.

2. The normal temperature of the dog is a bit higher than that of a human, because dogs vary in body size we use a range, it is regarded as between 101 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 to 39.2 degrees Celsius) in a normal healthy dog.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Emma is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?