Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog injured her front left leg about a week ago. I am in…

Customer Question
My dog injured her...

My dog injured her front left leg about a week ago. I am in a wheelchair and have no one to help me get to the vet.. She is a 6 yr old Grm Shepherd. I am wondering if I can give her aspirin for fever to help her with pain temporarily. She is listless and not getting up. She has been eating a little and drinking when I bring water. She has been licking her leg until she has several raw places on her skin. I am just f

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Molly she is about 6 yrs old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

Customer:

She has a few open places on that leg from licking.I started to w roap it but didn't want to cut off er circulation. I have given her some amoxicillin.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Molly has this problem, it does sound as if she may need hands-on veterinary help, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes, as far as pain relief goes you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol or Paracetamol which can be toxic to dogs.

Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Molly's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

YOU DIDN'T ADVISE ME WHETHER OR NOT SHE COULD HAVE A REACTION FROM MIXING ASPIRIN WITH THE AMOXI-CILLIN I HAVE GIVEN HER. I HAVE SOMEONE GOING TO PICK UP UNCOATED ASPIRIN FOR HER.
NO

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Thre is no problem with giving Amoxycillin and aspirin together, that should be just fine.

Regards,

Dr Scott