Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has diarrhea, she ate ribs. I did not givr them to her,

She has diarrhea, she...

She has diarrhea, she ate ribs. I did not givr them to her, she found them. Now she had a complete blow out and I saw all the bones she consumed. Do you think I should take in to get seen or you think I can give a bland diet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she will be 1yr this April

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?

She is not up to date with her vaccines

3/14/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

so, did your dog actually defecate out all the bones she ate?

Ok thank you
I believe so. But how to be sure and will it harm her?

so the only way to be sure is an xray and when my clients call with this type of situation I always recommend they bring their dog in for bloodwork and xrays.......

yes, unfortunately I have seen patients die from eating these bones if they are not treated....

The best option is to have your dog seen by an ER vet and a complete blood count should be done along with abdominal xrays....

Ok. She did have a little blood in it. She's acting pretty normal.
Ok thank you for that! I will do that

They may need to do IV fluids, antibiotics and give drugs to protect the intestinal tract.....how she is acting now doe snot tell you what may happen......I do not play around with these ....

can I answer any additional questions for you tonight?

No, thats all. Thank you Dr. B

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

You let me know if you need additional help after your ER visit. I check this site every night...DRB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
I will. Thank you agian!

No problem...hope your dog does ok......let me know...DRB