Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Today Marley had an ultrasound and the doctor said l ooks…

today Marley had an ultrasound...
today Marley had an ultrasound and the doctor said l ooks like bladder cancer . She put her on feldene once a day and is suggesting palladia as well . What are your thoughts on this treatment ?
3/14/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I am a little nervous about treating something without proof of looking at the cells. An aspirate will give a diagnosis about 25% of the time, but a biopsy would give a diagnosis nearly 100% of the time even though it is more invasive. There is minimal risk about spreading the cancer with an aspirate technique, and if it is cancer, then you will be treating with chemotherapy anyway. So any cells that are seeded from the aspirate or incision for biopsy will be treated by chemotherapy. These are seldom treated by surgery.

Peroxicam is a good choice for treatment and it is commonly used for bladder cancer. Palladia is not approved for this treatment. It is used for treatment of mast cell tumors. Chemotherapy with chlorambucil can achieve remission in 3% of cases.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks . One more question .... I have rimadyl for her hips ... is the feldene better than rimadyl ... or just ibuprofen ?

The feldene will work great for her hips, just as well as rimadyl. You would not want to use both medications together. Only the feldene works with bladder cancer treatment however. Rimadyl has not been shown to help with that.

Please kindly consider a review of my service if you have time. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We decided to treat her with only feldene and proin but she has gotten so she spits the big proin out . She hasn’t had an accident in the house since starting the feldene ... do you think the feldene is responsible for that ? I was thinking about not giving her the proin and testing that theory .

It will not hurt anything to test this theory. The worst case scenario would be that her incontinence returns. You could start up the Proin at that time if it should come back. I can not think of a reason why the feldene would cause her not to want to take the Proin tablets, but it is possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think that because we bury the feldene in cheese ... she would rather have the cheese treat ... she was just eating the proin without hesitation . We can put it in her food dish and she eats it . I think the proin makes her hot ( she pants ) and the other dog isn’t panting . We live in Michigan so it’s not because it’s too hot here !
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian