Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

2 year old boxer, had bowel resection 7 days ago. (After…

2 year old boxer...

2 year old boxer, had bowel resection 7 days ago. (After eating a plastic bag) was doing fine since bringing her home, now today she is lethargic again, won’t eat, barely taken any water, and shakes constantly. Took her back to the vet, he says she’s fine! Any advice please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Boxer. What is the Boxer's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

The vet today told us to stop the antibiotics. And the X-ray taken today, the vet says it looks like something in the stomach possibly. She has not been alone since coming home.

3/13/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Has Max had any vomiting? When did your vet last see her? When did she last eat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vomiting since the surgery, she was last seen today, we took her back because of the way she’s acting. Hasn’t eaten more than a small mouthful today. Won’t touch food right now. The vet made a comment that she had leakage inside her from the surgery, is that normal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, credit card comp thought it was a scam, run it again please

Leakage inside of her? Did they do an ultrasound to see this? Did they do an aspirate of fluid from her abdomen? Was the leakage from the incision? I would be hoping that at 7 days out from surgery that she'd be looking pretty good and have a really good appetite. Bowel resection (intestinal resection and anastomosis) s a very serious surgery that can have very bad complications. I don't want to scare you, but the last one that I saw at my ER was 3 1/2 days out from that surgery by the rDVM and it had the surgical site break down and the dog came in extremely critical and we couldn't save it. If she's not doing well at this time, it would be prudent to take some steps to figure out if something more serious is going on. I would consider an abdominal ultrasound to see if there is fluid inside of her and then trying to get some of that fluid to see if there is possible breakdown of the surgical site.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Surgical incision is healing great no drainage. They only performed an X-ray and palpation. We heard the tech tell the Doc that she had leaking intside and then the Doc showed us the X-ray and said it normal to have a little bit of leakage

I would say that it shouldn't be normal to have "leakage" from the actual surgical site. It could be considered normal to have a small amount of fluid in the abdominal cavity post surgery for a period of time due to lavage / fluid being used at surgery in the abdomen.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
DocPaul
Phone call session started
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian