Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 yr old female mastiff has been urinating blood for over…

Customer Question
My 8 yr old...

My 8 yr old female mastiff has been urinating blood for over a year. She has gas and a lump on her chest. Not sure if any are related. We have had several tests done, xrays, ultrasounds, 4 cycles of antibiotics and nothing had worked.the 3 vets we gave been to still cannot give a prognosis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Ruby 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?

The gets all have felt it and never said anything negative about it. She is lazy, but gets her exercise by playing with our 2 yr old pup. The urine looks thick and dark

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I specialize in ultrasound and my wife is a double board-certified veterinary pathologist

This is going to take a bit to sort out

Can you get me those ultrasound reports and all lab results?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to switch to my laptop first. Give me a few minutes, please.

Standing by

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am unable to attach the study the vet sent bc the link expired. Hopefully you can review and assist with what I have sent. My apologies if there are gaps. I did not have them all emailed.
Johnson-Ruby__Medical hi...pdf
Johnson...pdf
Johnson-Ruby__Medical hi...pdf
Johnson...pdf
Ruby Johnson 001.jpgRuby Jo...jpgRuby Johnson 002.jpgRuby Jo...jpgRuby Johnson 003.jpgRuby Jo...jpgRuby Johnson 004.jpgRuby Jo...jpg

Thanks

Give me time to review everything

I will then pass to my wife

Likely touch bases in AM with you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!

Very welcome

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Paul,
Just checking in. I know I didn't provide all the test results. But in both the ultrasound and the xrays the vets said they did not find anything abnormal. They did give me cleansing pads to use bc she is a girl and possibly could be getting an infection from the grass when urinating, but that has not helped either. I was going to purchase ester c and cranberry pills from 800 pets, but wanted to ask if that was going to help or not. She does eat salmon dry food from grandma Maes. Our puppy has bad allergies so we try to keep him on a strict diet and so she eats what we buy.

Hi there

Who did the ultrasounds? A specialist or just the vet at the hospital (dont trust many of them and their scanning ability)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We went to a specialist. The email came from antechimaging services. They said they can send me the notes from the ultrasound. Should I request that?

Yes please- I want to make sure they did a good job for you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please see attached.

Got it thanks

According to this they only ultrasounded the bladder. Is this true?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The xray I cannot get. That vets office is closed.

Okay

What about the ultrasound- did they just ultrasound the bladder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do u mean recently or was that all they Did? I have not went back so, what u have is all that they did. Blood work was done but I believe those results were sent yesterday. Nothing since September has been done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only the bladder

Okay seriously!

With the history of your dog and all they did is ultrasound the bladder?

If this is true then you need to find new vets now

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know. We already spent over $2800 on blood work, xray, ultrasound, and meds for her also my with the cost of the visits. We have been to 3 different vets bc there has been no resolve. Are you analyzing the results or can you not proceed ?

have looked at everything

NO evidence that they checked coagulation profile->Needs to be done ASAP

NO evidence that they did complete abdominal ultrasound->Needs to be done ASAP by specialist (radiologist)

Once we have that information we should be able to get this wrapped up

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the meantime is there anything I should be giving her like vitamins to help with immunity or overall health?

Nothing you can do to help at this point- not trying to be negative

Sorry this has dragged on so long for you!

Lets get those next tests done- We will continue to follow along with you

Okay?

Paul

Are you still there?

Okay

Do you have any more questions at this time? :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you.

Okay

Well good luck with the next steps- please keep me updated with the results

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for your updates and will stay with you till this is resolved

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian