Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 months old pup lost interested in her dry foods about a…

My 9 months old pup...
My 9 months old pup lost interested in her dry foods about a month ago. We started putting treats in her foods to make her eat. Then she lost interested again. Then we started mixing little can food with her kibbles but probably the can food. She stools became really soft. Her stools first come out solid then watery right after. Otherwise she is energetic and playful. She eats everything except her own food. I never gave her table food.Do you think that’s because the can food? Should I continue mixing with it?Thanks
3/13/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Diarrhea/soft stools with a change in diet is very common in puppies. Often can food can sometimes be the cause too.

I would be changing her food to just boiled chicken and white rice for 5 days. The poop should firm up in that time. Then gradually reintroduce the dry food and a small amount of the can food mixed together. If the poop goes runny again then I would recommend changing to a different brand of can food. You may find the (more expensive) can foods sold from a pet shop or your vet will be less likely to cause diarrhea.

Always try and introduce 'new' foods slowly over several days.

If the soft stools do not firm up after 5 days of chicken and rice then you will need to visit your vet with a stool sample for them to test.

Also make sure your dog is up to date with worming as this can be a cause of diarrhea in pups

Thanks. Why her stool comes out solid then watery right after?

You're welcome.

That's a really common occurence - it just indicates that there is some irritation in the small intestine. Some normal poop forms in the large bowel and then the diarrhea is formed higher up in the intestine. Does that make sense?

I see. How much chicken and rice should I feed her? She is 27 lbs.

Start with a handful of chicken and handful of rice. If she eats it all then and seems hungry then give her more the next feed.

Thanks. So for chicken and white rice, I don’t have to change slowly?

Good point! ;)

Chicken and rice is very bland and we know that in 99.5% of dogs it is digested well and does not cause issues if introduced suddenly. That is why we recommend it!

Did you have any further questions?

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Should I concern all in the sudden she is not interested in her foods? She is still excited when we give her treats and carrots.

Not really. She is likely filling up on the treats/carrots and so not hungry for her meal.

You may need to offer a little bit of 'tough love' and hold off the treats and only give her food from the bowl.

I would put the meal down and if it is not eaten within 20-30 minutes, remove it and retry again at the next meal.

She may just be a fussy dog and waiting for more tastier treats and snacks.

Does that answer your question?

What if she skips the next meal as well? I’m trying to ask at what point I need to take her to vet?

She is unlikely to.

The treats are likely upsetting her stomach too.

Take her too the vet if the chicken and rice does not settle the diarrhea after 5 days OR she becomes lethargic and quiet OR she starts vomiting.

Does that help?

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much.

My pleasure