Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our rescue pulled a severely underweight dog from a shelter…

Hi, our rescue pulled a...
Hi, our rescue pulled a severely underweight dog from a shelter last week. On Friday, he went to the vet and his exam was normal, but he does have a bad case of hookworms. He was given a liquid dewormer on Friday. Today he had more blood in his stool and is foster is concerned about the amount of blood. I'm just wondering if this is normal reaction to dewormer or if another vet visit is advisable. Thank you.
3/13/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. and will do my best to help with this concern about your rescue.

What a sad looking fella:(

A certain amount of bloody diarrhea is commonly seen with internal parasites such as hookworms so at this point, I probably wouldn't be too concerned. These sorts of parasites can cause significant irritation to the intestines which results in the blood that's seen.

However, having said that, if there's a profuse amount of blood and/or the patient starts to develop other symptoms such as vomiting or lethargy or disinterest in food, then something else may be going on. In that case, a vet visit would be advisable.

I assume that the foster has been advised to feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice as well as a probiotic; if not, then I would suggest that they do so.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. It does!

You're welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

And, thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with this guy. Deb