Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My elderly dad thinks his dog is dying and doesn't want to…

My elderly dad thinks...

My elderly dad thinks his dog is dying and doesn't want to take to vet because she is 16 1/2 and it's after hours and he thinks maybe letting nature take it's course might be best, ***** ***** is also curious if there's a simple solution.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The reason he thinks she might be dying is that she has yipped a couple of times today, sharply, and seems to be lethargic, although she doesn't get around much anyway. He noticed that her gums are very pale and she doesn't want to eat.

3/13/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am so sorry to hear your dad's dog may be dying. Pale gums are a sign that she may be bleeding internally, or that her circulation is failing.

Not eating is also a sign a dog is seriously ill, in pain, or dying. There is probably no "simple solution"; she may need pain medication to help her be comfortable until she passes (which could take hours, but might be longer, even days), or else to be put down by a veterinarian.

If I or a veterinarian were to examine her, we might be able to tell you if anything else can be done, but at her age it may just be her time. I am so sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this information. So you think it's possible she is in pain even though she isn't making any sounds? (She has had a hit and miss appetite for several weeks.) What pain medication would you recommend to keep her comfortable until she passes?

Dogs do not make sounds when they have chronic pain. They stop eating, are reluctant to move, keep to themselves.

Again, it could be awhile, days even, before she passes. I would probably use pain medication such as tramadol or gabapentin, but these are prescriptoins you can only get from a veterinarian. There are not many over the counter pain medications that are safe for dogs, or that will help treat this kind of "terminal" pain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for this information. I will try to make sure my dad gets her the pain meds she probably needs.

You are welcome. I hope she is comfortable until she passes. My sincere condolences to your dog for losing his friend.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian