Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my dogs ate a bottle of ibuprofen 800 there was

One of my dogs...

One of my dogs ate a bottle of ibuprofen 800 there was atleast 10 pills. I’m not sure which one or when. The older one seems fine but my 6mos bullmastiff’s gum are a bit pale

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Chewy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewy?

I literally just got him as a rescue and I have no info. He already had diarreah when I got him I saw no vomiting or blood in stool

3/13/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry about your dogs. I am working on response will be back shortly. Do you know how long ago this happened? And how much do both of your dogs weigh? It will be really important to induce vomiting.
I don't know if you are still on this site or not, but it will be really important for you to induce vomiting in your dogs. Ibuprofen can cause severe toxicity. You could take them to your veterinarian or you could try to induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide. It is dosed at one teaspoon per 10 lb. All 15 to 20 minutes for the peroxide to work. If it does not induce vomiting then you can repeat it one time. If it is not affected it would be very important for you to take them into your veterinarian. If sometime has already passed and I wouldn't waste any more time and I would just take them in. They can induce vomiting and give activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of the drug. This is all assuming that ingestion occurred within the last hour.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I honestly have no idea what time. My old one is over 50lbs the younger one im not sure but he’s probably 45
it is definitely worth trying to induce vomiting. So 1 teaspoon per 10 lb so about 5 teaspoons each.
I am just very concerned about them because this could lead to severe organ issues. It will be very important if you cannot induce vomiting to take them into a veterinarian for an exam and evaluation.
I worry about severe kidney toxicity and effects on the liver.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Nicole I took my dogs to the emergency vet but I could only afford for them to take one in. They told me to monitor my young one and take him in the morning since day clinics are cheaper but im severely concerned and want to know if there is something I can do in the interim. He seems thirsty and hungry but i have conflicting advice if I should let him eat. He’s a shaking a little and seems more tired than usual but i can’t tell if there’s blood in his stool since it’s all brown and orange.
I completely understand and I am so sorry for the situation that you are in. I don't see a problem with you allowing him to eat if he is hungry. He should have free access to water and just feed small intermittent meals. I would think fasting him might make him feel worse.
Has the young one typically gotten into things in the past or are you pretty confident that it was the other dog?
Chewy was new to you correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just rescued him, and my other dog usually hates pills and isn’t known to be a chewer but maybe if my pup started he felt it was ok? Older dog had blood in his stool and that’s why i admitted him but my young one is doing kinda a wheezy noise sometimes and shaking intermittently. I’m trying to find an appropriate lube for the thermometer to check his temp. A friend said to do a scruff test and it’s bouncing back pretty quick and his gums aren’t pale anymore
Okay those are all really good signs. Of course you are going to over-analyze and look for any possible change with him especially because you are unsure if he ingested any. Just make sure that he is drinking appropriate amounts of water and is eating and not vomiting. Monitor for any excessive water intake or nausea. If you are able I would still take him in in the morning to have him evaluated by your regular veterinarian just to be safe.
The Scruff test is a good test for hydration status. You can also check his mucous membranes in his mouth and make sure that they are not tacky.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I’m definitely taking him tomorrow I’ll ask my family to help if I have to. I’ll check to make sure it’s not tacky, his nose is dry. I don’t have Vaseline what is a dog safe lube for the thermometer? Also I did find pieces of maybe plastic? It was a foreign object in his poop it was little but still
You can use really anything to lubricate the thermometer. You could use any type of oil if you don't have vaseline. If they were small amounts of plastic I wouldn't worry just make sure that he is not having any problems passing stool. Please keep me posted on how he is doing. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated Remember even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so please feel free to post any questions or concerns that you may have. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much for your help Dr.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr Nicole, Chewy temp is at 101.3 and his shaking has stopped he is slipping. My older dog has slightly elevated levels in his tests but no symptoms and the er vet is possibly releasing him tmr with no need for further treatment or meds but we may still xray him Incase of a foreign body. Chewy will be seen tmr. Just wanted to update thanks for the help
Hello. I just thought I would check in with you to see how things are going with your dear pets. I hope that things are much better. I would certainly love an update if you have time. You've been in my thoughts. Take care doctor Nicole
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. , both dogs are fine! Their blood levels showed no signs of anything and I found the pills I thought they ate. Seems that my lil one tried one hated the taste and just hid the rest.
You have got to be kidding me!!! I have never heard of that before. Will you tell the little one that he has to get a job now and pay for the vet bills!!! Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out okay.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian