Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pointer/Lab, 12 yrs., no sign of mites or ear infection, has…

Customer Question
Pointer/Lab, 12 yrs., no...

Pointer/Lab, 12 yrs., no sign of mites or ear infection, has aural hematoma. Kids who own her can't really afford a large surgery cost if not absolutely necessary. I would pay for them if needed. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Sasha, age 12. Me, was vet assistant in past years so that probably makes it worse for you. lol

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?

No, healthy dog, up on shots & any routine needs. Dog isn't even aware, it seems, anything's wrong. Obviously bothering her owners more than her.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Sasha.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

As Sasha's owners were told, these conditions have been primarily treated surgically in the past but within the last 10 years or so, we have recognized that many of these patients will respond to oral steroids such as Prednisone. The dose has to be relatively high, though....0.5 mg per kilogram of body weight twice a day for 1-2 weeks before it is tapered. Lower doses don't seem to be effective. There may be some scarring and crinkling of the ear but it tends to be minimal with this method.

Occasionally some dogs will still require surgical correction but since I have started treating these dogs with steroids, I have only had one that didn't respond. Because of the response to steroids, the underlying cause has been reevaluated in some dogs: there may be an auto immune component or allergic to this condition.

These ears don't have to be treated; the fluid will eventually be resorbed by the body but it can take several weeks for this to happen and the dogs can be a bit uncomfortable during the process.

Another option to consider if your vet is reluctant to put her on steroids would be to aspirate the blood from the hematoma and inject triamincinolone (a steroid) into the ear at a dose of 2-4 ml's. I don't have as much personal experience with this method, though.

I hope this helps, Deb