Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On Friday night my dog ingested a razor head with the blades…

On Friday night my dog...
On Friday night my dog ingested a razor head with the blades in tact. He seemed to have chewed it up and passed all the pieces of the blade and plastic (although it is hard to be perfectly sure because despite my best efforts sifting through his stool, it was all in very tiny pieces). He has NOT had any vomitting, bleeding, bloating or tenderness of the belly, lose of appetite or engery and NO diarrhea until last night. I contact a vet on this site and was told to give him 2 pepto bismal and maintain a bland diet of rice, boiled chicken and plain yogurt for a few days. This morning and this afternoon his stool was black in colour. It was not tarry (I've heard that indicates a gastrointestinal issue), it looked like a regular stool would, but it had some black colouring to this. I also know the black stool can be a side effect of pepto bismal. He is still showing no other signs of symptoms and we are well beyond 48 hours past when he ate the razor. Am I to assume he is all right or am I being a bad dog mom by not taking him to a vet?
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

You are smart-> The stool color is likely from the Pepto ( I hate Pepto Bismol for dogs and cats)

You are doing a great job thus far.

I would add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal for the next few days

This will help with the diarrhea and make sure everything is pushed through

You do NOT have to go to the vet

I hope that helps!

Paul

Thank you so much ! I will run out and grab some canned pumpkin right now. I appreciate your time!

Very welcome

Update me tomorrow

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I will for sure do both !

Great!