Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund is very lethargic and yelps when you touch him.

My dachshund is very...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Oscar, He's 8 and a epileptic

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he walking any different?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1-NO
2-8hrs
3- epileptic
4-Yes a little. Much slower, unstable, if he walks
5-Yelps when you touch him around his front legs and upper back.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that he is yelping when being touched, his breed and walking slower the first medical condition that needs to be ruled out is a pinched nerve along the back (neck) as a result of a bulging disc. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Oscar needs a hands-on examination by your veterinarian, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. If the vet confirms that he is having back problems they will start him on prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication. Do not give over the counter pain meds most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication your vet may need to use. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Strongly recommend having him checked as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, That's what I thought it might be.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian