Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husky is having a really hard time urinating. It comes…

My husky is having...

My husky is having a really hard time urinating. It comes out in small spurts if at all. He is not at all excited and seems to be mostly depressed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Oki and year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Oki?

A year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oki?

He hardly heats eat*

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Oh dear this may be serious

Any blood in the urine?

How often is he trying to pee?

Paul

No blood in the urine as far as I can tell. its a lemonade yellow when he is able to urinate. He tries to pee 3 or 4 times each time we go out. I doubt he is even urinating half a cups worth each time. He has not been touching his water at all

Okay

And obviously he never did this before right?

Paul

I rescued him from a kill shelter yesterday. I found his owner from when he was a pup and they told me that he has always been a picky eater, but has never had issues with urinating. His overall mood seems depressed. No tail wagging, he does vocalize, but its been rare. Ive not seen a single tail wag.

Okay

We need to get him checked over

I am worried about a bladder stone in the urethra or bladder that is blocking the flow of urine

WE cannot take a chance here and I dont want to wait until later when it is ER clinics only

They will want to check his urine and likely x-ray or ultrasound his bladder

Can you take him in?

Paul

I will call a local vet.

Okay good stuff

Please update me after the visit

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Hey DocPaul,
I have an update for you. I took Oki to the local vet here, an excellent man. He gave him a urinalysis , blood test, prostate exam, xrays and cath'd him to relieve the bladder pressure. He was very interested in this case due to the age of Oki, 1 year old. He discounted and allowed me to make payments due to the learning experience of what he calls an odd and rare case. He sent the xrays to a few of his other vet buddies and they all determined that Oki had an enlarged prostate. So today Oki was neutered. The vet said that he was so well behaved that he didnt need "the cone of shame," but when I got him home he wouldnt stop licking, So I put an old pair of boxers on him, worked like a charm. The vet gave me some pills for Oki, what is the best method for getting him to take the pills?

Thanks for the update!!

Great job

I would put the pills in a piece of cheese

Thank you for being such a good owner

You are in good hands with your vet now and that makes me happy

I will close out this link after you rate me

Be well, Paul

I have rated you 5 stars and added you to my favorites. I wish I could rate my local vet. I work as a delivery driver for Dominos, so that whole office is going to get a pizza party on me. Oki is much happier now that the pressure is off. I still have to take him in every morning to be cath'd for at least a week.I have his blood work and urinalysis paper work if you would like to have a look in case you run into a similar case. Just lmk, Otherwise you can now close the link. Thank you Paul. Have an awesome day!

I am thrilled that you and Oki are happy and that you have a good vet now!!!!

You can send me the reports, yes

Paul

Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul