Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 yo dog is having attacks that resemble a cat trying to…

Customer Question
My 15 yo...

My 15 yo dog is having attacks that resemble a cat trying to cough up a hairball

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Knicky, 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Knicky?

Her hips are starting to give out

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Most likely he has a dry cough with a lot of hacking, looking like he may cough something up. Let me know if that is not the case. If it is, chances are that he has a chronic inflammatory/allergic bronchitis. It is common in geriatric dogs and is just due to long term irritation to the airways. With his age, though, you cannot rule out a heart problem or lung tumors. If the cough sounds more wet, then there could be other issues, such as pneumonia going on. My best advice is to have your vet get a chest x-ray on him and run some blood work. I would want to rule out more serious causes of the coughing, including heartworm disease if he is not on prevention every month. If there is signs of bronchitis on x-rays, your vet can prescribe some medication to decrease the inflammation and open up the airways if necessary. As far as human OTC cough medications go, Robitussin DM (only the DM formulation) is usually safe to give to dogs, but it may not help as much if used alone with these issues. As with any human medication, I always recommend checking with your vet to make sure there is nothing in the history to make it contraindicated for her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Knicky is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian