Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Snow, Sebastian doesn't have dhirreah any more at this

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Snow, Sebastian doesn't...
Hi Dr. Snow, Sebastian doesn't have dhirreah any more at this point, however is poo has been black to this point. Still solid like a regular poo, but black. I know this can be a side effect of pepto bismal, but I also know this could mean something gastrointestinally. He still has no other side effects such as vomitting, blood in stool, lack of appeptite, lack of energy, swelling of the belly.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 3 months ago
Sarah Snow

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 3 months ago

Yes, the Pepto can cause the dark stools. Dark stools can also indicate bleeding from the stomach or small intestines, however, I would expect to see some other symptoms too, such as decreased appetite or loose stools.

You could take a poop sample to your vet to test for blood, or you can give it a day or so off of the Pepto and see if it resolves, especially since he is doing so well. :)

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 3 months ago

How is he doing?

Hi there,Sebastian is doing much better. I gave him some pumpkin rather than the pepto to see if it might clear up the black stool and it has, as of last night his stool was back to normal and jsut to be safe I brought some in for a sample. They said results would be in some time today, but didn't seem worried since the pepto was likely the source.Thanks for following up with me!
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Still doing well?

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sebastian. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow