Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Snow, Sebastian doesn't have dhirreah any more at this

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Snow, Sebastian doesn't...
Hi Dr. Snow, Sebastian doesn't have dhirreah any more at this point, however is poo has been black to this point. Still solid like a regular poo, but black. I know this can be a side effect of pepto bismal, but I also know this could mean something gastrointestinally. He still has no other side effects such as vomitting, blood in stool, lack of appeptite, lack of energy, swelling of the belly,
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr Benedetta, and i would like to help, as Dr Snow does not seem to be available.

You are correct that a black bowel movement is concerning. This is because digested blood, like blood from a stomach ulcer, presents as a black stool. One of the reasons for which i routinely discourage my clients from using pepto-bismol for their dogs, especially the tablets, is exactly because it can cause stomach ulcers.

I am glad to hear that Sebastian is otherwise doing well, but I would encourage you to take a fecal sample to your veterinarina and ask to have it tested for occult blood (if you do not ask it will be tested for parasites only).

If the test is positive, then you need to follow your veterinarina recommendations for treating pptential ulcers or othet bleeding causes in the upper GI tract.

Hope this makes sense! if youhave futher questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Benedetta Sarno, DVM

benedetta7
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian