Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund fell off our bed and we took him to our

My dachshund fell off...

My dachshund fell off our bed and we took him to our veterinarian. He has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve in his neck. He does have a history of IVDD. He has been prescribed Gabapentin twice a day for the nerve pain and Galliprant as his anti-inflammatory because of his age; he will be 14 in June. We do not have him on crate rest as he would be more anxious and upset and probably hurt himself worse if he were confined to his crate. We do allow him to walk around, we know no running or stairs and I do pick him up and down off of the ramps we have to the chairs, bed etc. We haven't really noticed a lot of improvement on these meds. He can move his head really well but does not move it to the left as much as the right but I actually have noticed he is moving it a little further to the left than before. This happened mid January. I have placed him on CBD hemp oil beginning this past Wednesday. I also wanted to know if you felt acupuncture and laser therapy would help. Our veterinarian said to let them know if we see improvement and if not we may try a stronger anti-inflammatory but at his age I know how hard Rimadyl/vetprofen is on the kidneys, as well a dexamethasone and prednisone. Also at his age I do not want him to undergo a surgery on his neck. He does walk with those little tiny steps with his front legs. At first he did display a weakness on the left hind leg but that has resolved itself. Am I just trying to see results too fast? My main question is about possibly changing to dexamethasone or a more potent anti-inflammatory for a couple weeks to see where we are then and I wanted to know about the acupuncture and laser therapy. Chiropractic is out of the question.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

This doesn't have anything to do with lethargy. He has a pinched nerve In his neck which I described above. Recent bloodwork has been done and everything came out fine. His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?

No, not that I can think of at this time. As I said he does have a history of IVDD; chronic condition at T-12

3/13/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I’m sorry to hear about Winston’s issue. I’ll be very honest and say that some owners with cases similar to this will preach all the praises for laser therapy and / or acupuncture. They are modalities of therapy that can have effective results that owners were not getting with other more traditional medicinal therapies and time. If you have available one or both, I would give them a shot to see how they may help. Personally, at this time I wouldn’t feel the steroids would be the best next step as their use for IVDD cases has dwindled. Some will still feel they have value it it seems more so in acute situations and not necessarily the chronic ones.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Bruce. I will definitely check into acupuncture and laser therapy for Winston.
I am hoping for the best for this guy! Give him a little ear scratching for me since I can’t!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian