Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate 12 5mg bisacodyl laxative pills. Will he be…

Customer Question
My dog just ate...

My dog just ate 12 5mg bisacodyl laxative pills. Will he be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Onyx and he's 9 months old. He's a black mountain cur.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Onyx?

No that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help. I'm so sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I'll type as quickly as I can since this just happened and time is of the essence.

This *just* happened, right?

About how much does Onyx weigh?

Is he otherwise healthy and on no medication?

Thank you.

It happened within the past 30 minutes probably. He probably weighs around 15-20 lbs

Thank you. For a dog Onyx's size 1-3 tablets *could* be used as a therapeutic dose, so the 12 tablets is at least a 4x overdose. Overdoses of this particular drug may result in severe cramping, diarrhea, vomiting and, potentially, fluid and electrolyte imbalances.

Because this has the potential, the best thing to do is to try to make him vomit. This is usually successful when done within an hour of consuming the overdose, but it is not without risk.

The safest way to induce vomiting is to get him to an emergency center where they can use a drug to do it. This is only a good idea for you, however, if an ER is accessible and can do this within the next hour. If it's not, you'll have to induce vomiting at home.

More on that...

This link explains the details on inducing vomiting.

I'll explain more as well...

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/

I don't have a animal hospital in my area and the closet is about 2 hours away so I'll have to do it at home

The dose of FRESH hydrogen peroxide that would be given to a dog Onyx's size is 2 teaspoons. This can be repeated ONE time if it hasn't produced vomiting within ten minutes.

It's absolutely critical that the hydrogen peroxide be fresh in order for it to be effective.

It's also critical to avoid overdosing on the peroxide; that can cause lethal complications.

Because you're far from help, the best plan is to be sure you have fresh peroxide (get some if you need to, but hurry) and spend only as little time as possible trying to induce vomiting with it at home.

If it works and he throws up the laxative, then you'll just need to let his upset stomach rest before allowing food and water again.

If it doesn't work, be ready for the symptoms above. It could be advisable to start the drive to an animal hospital if you can't get him to throw up since it's so far away (better than waiting to start the drive until he's really sick).

I'm so sorry this happened.

Does this help to answer your question at this point?

I want to be as helpful as possible because you're stuck in such a tough situation.

Just checking in to ask how Onyx is doing. I've been worried about you and hoping he's come through alright.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo