Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We just adopted a puppy over the weekend and she's been fine…

Hello! We just adopted...

Hello! We just adopted a puppy over the weekend and she's been fine for a couple of days and all of a sudden today she started dry heaving and puked once

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, she tries eating sticks and leaves outside but Ive taken them away. I did try one new treat yesterday though around 5pm. It was a blue buffalo banana yogurt treat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Shes on the same food as before too. Her name is ***** ***** shes a little over three months Thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sydney?

Nothing that I am aware of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

How old is your puppy?

Has she had her first round of vaccines against parvo virus and if so how old was she?

Any diarrhea?

She is a little over three months. According to the shelter, everything is up to date and she has one more round of vaccines left I believe, I called that vet today but they were closed. We adopted her in a nearby state (1.5 hours away) and planned to visit that vet once to get her records and neutered/microchipped.
She has had mostly normal stools except a little bit loose the last one but not diarrhea.

The biggest concern in a young puppy is, unfortunately, parvovirus.

Other possibilities include intestinal parasites ( worms) a high worm burden can cause some pretty intense tummy upset.

We can also see young puppies eat things they shouldn't and those things can get stuck in the stomach or the intestines causing a blockage.

To be on the safe side I would recommend getting her checked today by a veterinarian near you. God forbid this is parvo we need to catch it early to give her the best chance to beat it.

If you are unable to get her to a veterinarian we can try some Pepcid to see if that will settle her tummy down, but my fear is that with her already vomiting she won't be able to keep it down.

We can see puppies even who have their vaccines come down with parvo. The vaccines give their immune systems a leg up against the disease so we often see a shorter less severe course of the disease, but often these puppies still need some supportive care and medications for nausea.

Thank you. I will call the local vet now to see if we can get her in!

You are very welcome good luck let me know how it goes.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Are there any other symptoms we should be looking for?
Thank you!

increasing lethargy is not good and if her stools go watery that is a bad sign.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney