Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

2 weeks ago my male dog got my female now she is larthgic…

2 weeks ago my...

2 weeks ago my male dog got my female now she is larthgic and has bloody clear discharge as well as vomiting not sure whats going on

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No she is not eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Precious

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?

She was in heat 2 weeks ago and my male got her and she was alright a few days after but now all she does is lay there hardly drinks and eats is vomiting and has bloody discharge

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Precious. How old is she?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6

Anytime a female dog acts sick a few weeks after being in heat, I worry about a uterus infection called a pyometra, which can be serious. Dogs with a pyometra are lethargic, can have a fever, vomiting, not eat.

It would be unusual to see a pyometra in a young dog, but at 6 it is possible.

I would have her checked out by your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok when i look this up it says its natural but still worried no fever and she just started vomiting this morning

It is not natural for a dog to be vomiting, not eating, and lethargic after being in heat and being with a male dog.

What is her rectal temperature? Normal is 101.5

Since a pyometra can be life threatening, I would have her checked to be sure that is not what she has.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure how do i check that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

The bloody clear discharge can be seen in a pyometra; it is not normal to have a discharge like this after being in heat and being bred by a male.

To check for fever, you need to use a thermometer in her anus. Normal is 101.5. (38.6 C). There is no other way to know for sure if there is fever.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have and if this is helpful.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

I did not hear back from you. How is Precious doing?

Was this helpful; do you have any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had to put her down and I do have a question she had surgery on the 14 she was doing ok then she went down hill and yesterday she was doing good then today we got a call saying she wasn’t doing well my question is why would she be bleeding from her nose and when we put her down it came gushing out of her nose I don’t understand what happened

I am so sorry she is gone. My sincere condolences.

What was the surgery that she had; did she have a pyometra?

Bleeding from the nose can be from a tumor inside the nose. It can also be from loss of normal blood clotting function, which can happen with illness. Sick animals and people can develop DIC, a serious condition where the blood loses the ability to clot normally, and internal bleeding, nosebleeds, bleeding anywhere can occur.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she had pyometra surgery and she was severely dehydrated when I took her in she was doing great before yesterday morning and then just went bad but I don’t understand the blood from her nose they said her liver was failing I guess they did a test and found she was diabetic

Oh, dear. She had so many problems. Being diabetic and having liver failure could have caused the bleeding, or DIC. The liver makes proteins called clotting factors, needed for normal clotting. She may have been low in clotting factors.

I am so sorry. Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian