Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She started whimpering when moving during the night (she…

Hi--she started whimpering when...

Hi--she started whimpering when moving during the night (she sleeps with us) a few days ago; took her to vet and they gave her anti-inflammatory thinking she tweaked her back (she doesn't want to go down stairs, etc); but two days later she is totally lethargic; not whimpering at night but can't figure out what's going on...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Lil' Uzi--she's a 1 year old MinPin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil?

Well, she's been very healthy and full of pep. She was spayed a month ago and it was hard to keep her quiet afterwards, she acted as if nothing happened.

3/13/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Lil' Uzi is appearing lethargic lately. She is currently being treated with an anti-inflammatory medication for suspected back pain as well. Did the veterinarian actually find back pain on the exam, or was that a best guess?

That was a best guess. I thought maybe she had gotten into something--ate something sharp or poisonous and was giving her rice/cottage cheese but by Sunday she was worse--no vomiting or diarhea -- eating OK. Uzi was a bit hunched in back so vet thought back tweak; said let's try the meds and if it doesn't get better bring her back. She has slept better; but still whimpers when moving now and then and is mostly sleeping all day--not like her at all!

Thank you for that information. The hunched back posture can be present with either back pain or abdomen pain, so the issue could actually be affecting anything inside the abdomen like the intestines, stomach, liver, bladder, etc. We look for other things such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc. to get further clarification, but lethargy could be associated with just pain as well. Even anemia could cause lethargy, but that would not likely caused a hunched back. Blood work and x-rays become the next diagnostic steps to take. Most veterinarians would assume back pain if there was no clear indication that the abdomen was painful. It might be worth expanding the pain medication a little more and giving something for nausea in case it is present.

For instance, giving over-the-counter Pepcid and feeding a low fat diet like boiled chicken and white rice in small amounts can help treat stomach pain caused by gastritis. Tramadol or gabapentin are both pain medications your veterinarian can prescribe, and giving her that can help improve pain sensation.

Does that help answer your question?

Thank you--that makes sense. I will take her back to vet today; it's nice to get second opinion. One last question--if she had something stuck in her (blockage) or ate something bad, we should know that by now right? Since she has normal bowell movements I'm assuming that would rule that out--but would be good to get your thoughts.

Yes, you should know by now. An intestinal blockage shows with more obvious signs of nausea like vomiting. She would not be having normal bowel movements either. However, if she ate something that is causing a general stomach upset, but not a blockage, then that could cause the signs you are seeing with a hunched back and lethargy. The difference is hopefully appreciated on a physical exam. With back pain, hopefully the veterinarian can feel tenderness along the spine. With abdominal pain, the back will feel normal, but the abdominal muscles are tight.

Thanks--I really appreciate this. Good service! Have a great day.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry