Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He might have eaten some temazepam 30mg idk how many or how…

Customer Question
He might have eaten...

He might have eaten some temazepam 30mg idk how many or how much

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Paxil, he is a 26 pound almost 1 year old soft coated wheaten terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paxil?

Nope he has been healthy thsu far ok please im desparate

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you, ***** ***** an absolute basket case, this dog is my life. He is an emotional support animal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't afford these bills thats why i already paid the $5, I cannot pay another $28 I am a poor college student

Temazepam has been dosed to dogs at 5 - 30 mg safely and benzodiazepines such as this one are generally well-tolerated. If you don't know how many were ingested, however, it would be prudent to induce emesis with 2 measuring tablespoons (30 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small pountry baster placed between Paxil's cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Inducing emesis is predicated upon his ingesting the temazepam within the hour. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i tried to pour it as best as i can between his teeth and cheek, but i think he swallowed it, the H2O2 is safe to swallow right?

Yes, it is. It acts to irritate the stomach lining which then causes vomiting. It's not toxic in that amount.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok he has thrown it all up i believe, the first round was white and frothy with some brown which i figure is the H2O2 and some dog food, but i couldn't see any capsules, the rest wast just yellow liquid thereafter. So in your expert opinion you would say he is in the clear now?

I would say that you've done all you should. Dogs "houseclean" vomit; in other words, fully empty their stomach when vomiting. The only temazepam in his system is that which was absorbed prior to your inducing emesis. You might see sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") arise if that's the case but it's very difficult to seriously intoxicate a dog with a benzodiazepine such as temazepam. I have to leave my computer for most of the day so if you need help later please ask for a "second opinion". I believe that there's an option for you to do that on your page. For questions concerning your financial obligation to the site, I'll have customer service contact you.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian