Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 35# dog has a very swollen belly has hardly moved and…

Customer Question
My 35# ***** has...

My 35# ***** has a very swollen belly has hardly moved and when she does her back legs are not working correct she is also licking her back area a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 13 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loda?

That's all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ioda. You appear to be describing an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity causing such swelling. This can occur secondary to right-sided heart failure, hypoalbuminemia (a lack of the large protein albumin) due to a poorly functioning liver unable to produce enough albumin or loss of albumin through damaged kidneys or bowel, or inflammation in the abdomen due to infection or neoplasia (cancer). Ioda's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam paying particular attention to Ioda's heart, perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, and remove a small amount of fluid from her abdomen to be analyzed for its physical qualities and cellularity. In this manner, the additional diagnostics needed to clarify Ioda's condition and how it might be addressed can be determined.

Her hind legs ataxia ("drunken sailor") can indicate a systemically weakened dog or myelopathies (spinal cord disorders). Her licking her back area suggests that the area is either pruritic (itchy) or painful. These symptoms are likely related to the cause of her abdominal effusion which needs to be determined before they can be addressed as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am several hours from the nearest vet. I have just given her dog food with some hot water and olive oil. Thinking this may help her eliminate. What else can I do for her at home. I may not be able to take her to vet.

I understand. Regretfully, her condition isn't amenable to home care. There's reason to be believe that she's critically ill. I'm a died-in-the-wool allopath. Perhaps a naturopathic vet may be more helpful to you. I'll opt out so such a vet can enter this conversation.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian