Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Deb! First, I've changed up that little Miles Davis' food -

Good morning Deb! First, I've changed...
Good morning Deb!
First, I've changed up that little Miles Davis' food - chicken thighs, brown rice, and vegetables and he's eating!!
Second, we will be bringing him with us on our Nashville to Asheville trip in June and will spend time in the mountains. He currently has Vectra monthly for fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. Any additional protection for the mountains in NC? Thanks so much! I don't want to bring home any bugs we didn't go with!
3/13/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Kim,

Glad we're online at the same time for a change:)

And, good news about the little fella; let's see how long he'll enjoy his new diet although it certainly sounds delicious to me!

The summer trip sounds like a fun one for everyone; I'm sure he'll have a blast. As far as external parasites are concerned, I think you have it covered pretty well with Vectra; it's probably my favorite topical product. I've also become a huge fan of Bravecto which is an oral product that's been around for about 4 years now. My clients love it for fleas and tick but I don't know how well it would work against mosquitoes.

If he tends to drink out of standing puddles or water, I'd try and prevent him from doing so since he may be at risk for picking up a few things:

1. Giardia and

2. Leptospirosis. I don't know if this bacterial infection is common where you're traveling (it is here in New England where I live) but it should be easy enough to find out by calling vets in the area. If so, then I might consider having him vaccinated against this disease since it has the potential to cause some serious issues with the kidneys and liver.

Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much! I will watch the standing water drinking and is there anything we can do to try to prevent Giardia? I will get him the Lepto vaccine.

You're welcome, as always.

Giardia is virtually everywhere with it being more endemic in certain areas than others...it's quite common in New England where I live. There is a Giardia vaccine but it's not endorsed by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) whose guidelines I follow with respect to vaccines.

It may prevent shedding of the organism once the patient is infected but they do not prevent infection.

Try and prevent him from drinking any other water than what you provide for him.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it! He's pretty good about "leave it" so I'll watch him closely with regard to water. Thank you!!
Stay warm - looks like you're getting hit with another storm. We're going to get some much needed rain most of the next 5 days.

Kim,

Always glad to help and always grateful for your rating:)

Staying warm isn't so much of a problem since I have a wood stove; even if I lose electricity, I'm covered in that respect. It's my back and body I need to worry about since moving all of the snow we're supposed to get may be a challenge. But, it's light and fluffy so it probably won't be too bad.

Rain looks pretty good about now unless flooding is a problem..which, fortunately, it's not for me!

Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian