Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 16 year old female sheltie has a mass on her chest that…

My 16 year old female...
My 16 year old female sheltie has a mass on her chest that goes under the armpit. It has been there for many years, at least 5,and is firm and large enough for me to cup with my hand.
About a month ago it became a little more prominent and still firm.
Sunday she pooped fresh blood and I took her to my vet. There was bacteria in the sample that I brought. Her white blood cells count was elevated, almost all neutrophils.
She got started on co-amoxiclav and metronidazole.
Her appetite has fallen off so I brought her back to the vet. She lost weight in 2.5 days. From 9.1kg to 8.8kg. My vet asked me to give her maalox and to watch her.
Then a coincidental finding. The mass on her chest has softened. It almost feels like there is liquid inside.
I'm going to do a chest xray tomorrow so we can have a better look at what is there.
Other info. She's hypothyroid. We are still titrating the dose.
We are in Manila, Philippines. There are no specialist veterinarians here.
The change in the mass, the infection and the weight loss. Can this be cancer?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Did they aspirate the mass (put needle into it) ?

Paul

Not yet. The clinic was closing for the night. Also the vet wasn't my regular vet. She also worried about poking something cancerous. She suggested that I do the xray first.
Lady has alot of fat deposits. She has also had a benign tumor removed from her rump and inner thigh. This was 3 and 2 years ago. It was just mixed tissue. I've forgotten what it's called.

No

X-ray is waste of money

Do the aspirate and have cells looked at

I have done this thousands of times- never a problem

My wife is a veterinary pathologist and suggested this

Paul

Ok, I'll have that done tomorrow.
Last thing,
1.so it could be a malignancy?
2.could it be the source of the infection?

Yes it could be a cancer but it could be a good cancer like a lipoma

It could also be an infection

So lets go ahead with the aspirate

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Well, I will get the aspiration done and then things will be more clear.

Good stuff!

Paul

Doc Paul, I have rated you 5 stars and
submitted a review twice. I can't tell if the reviews took.

Got it

Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?

DocPaul