Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 month old puppy woke up with one eye swollen. I know…

Hi, my 7 month...

Hi, my 7 month old puppy woke up with one eye swollen. I know that this can be indicative of a more serious condition and I should take him to a vet, but it seems to be getting better with time. He only just woke up 30 minutes ago, but I have been very worried. I gave him half a benadryl because he is just over 10 lbs, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do while I see if it gets better or if there is any way to tell if it is something serious. I don't see any scratches and he is not especially warm to the touch (no fever).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

I do not believe so.

3/13/2018
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this has happened.

Is he pawing at the eye at all?

Are you able to post a clear image of the eye here for me to see?

He did a little, it is hard to tell because he is very sleepy. I don't know if that is also indicative of anything, but he does like to sleep in until 9 or 10 am usually. I will try to get him to wake up and take a picture, but when he is just waking up, he doesn't usually like to open his eyes fully.

This could be something minor like allergies, mild irritation from something that got in the eye, but could also be something like an ulcer. I would try to keep him from pawing at it (using an elizabethan collar). You can get collars at most pet stores. If you are able to put a picture up in a little while I might be able to give you some more information. I will stand by and wait for you to post one later.

Is there anything else I can do besides the benadryl? How long should that take to kick in? Are there any things that I could notice that would indicate an ulcer? I am sorry to ask so many questions, I adopted him from the SPCA around 4 months ago and I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make sure he is okay.

I would do the benadryl every 12 hours at that dose. It can take a while for that to kick in (usually at least an hour or so).

There is nothing you will see to indicate an ulcer besides swollen eyelids and closing the eye. We usually put a stain on the eye to check for ulcers. I think it would be a good idea to have him checked out to rule out any ulcers at this time just to be on the safe side. Ulcers can be painful and need topical treatment.

Very hard to say based on this image. I think it would be fine to wait 4-5 hours and see what things look like at that time. It seems to be mildly swollen now, but nothing major I can see at this time.

I guess my biggest concern is that if I wait, will he go blind or lose his eye? I know this may seem a tad overdramatic and I would love him regardless, but he is just a puppy and I want him to have the fullest life ahead. I would never be able to forgive myself if my waiting is the reason something like that would have happened.

I would not expect him to go blind, but since you are worried, I really would just head to the vet this morning. Since I cannot physically examine the dog, I cannot say with 100% certainty what is going on or what may happen. I think piece of mind goes a long way.

Thank you so much for your assistance. I will call my vet!
You are very welcome. I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian