Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am going to attach a picture of the problem but my dog's…

Second opinion] I am going...
Second opinion] I am going to attach a picture of the problem but my dog's dew claw on the front paw is swollen. He will not let me get close to it. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? He never lets me cut his nails. A problem we have had ever since he was neutered. Also, I was kind of forced to have him neutered when he was only 7 weeks old and call me crazy but I swear he has serious issues since it was done. if a dog is neutered too early can it cause psychological issues later in life? I always feel like he didn't get a chance to go through puberty is what I call it and because of that his private parts lol never grew to the same size of adult dogs. Hope I am making sense. lol
3/13/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.I don't see a photo...did you upload it? I'll type a general answer about swollen dewclaws.

A few things could cause swollen dewclaws. Trauma would be the first...he could have gotten it caught in something and twisted. An xray would confirm a fracture, or an xray could be normal if it's just strained. Another possibility would be infection. Nailbed infections can cause swollen painful digits. Don't have a good reason why this happens sometimes, but antibiotics or antifungals are warranted in that case. I don't know how old he is, but mainly in older dogs a tumor is possible. This can be diagnosed with an xray and then biopsy. Sounds like a vet visit is warranted. Give me a few minutes to type a response about neutering young.

I certainly wouldn't call you crazy for your worries, but trust me that there's no lasting psychological damage from neutering. Most dogs get neutered before "puberty," though not usually at 7 weeks. Although some studies have been done suggesting they should be neutered later due to orthopedic issues, the studies are very biased so the general concensus still is to neuter before puberty.

Let me know if I can help with anything else! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah