Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 year old pitbull swallowed a disposable razor

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? When did this occur? Was it the whole razor? Just the razor blade itself? Any symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It happened last night she ate the whole razor

Was the safety shield on the razor or off?

Razor consumption, as I am sure you've guessed, host a whole list of complications from GI upset to lacerated bowels. The absolute best approach here is going to be having your companion examined by your vet and x-rays taken to determine where this razor is located. They will want to monitor her closely over the next few days to see if she can pass this normally or if she will require surgery. If the shield stays on, the risk of laceration may be further minimized. She should be fed a highly fibrous diet to help cushion the razor and move it along through the bowels. I would recommend a diet of boiled rice and chicken. If she's avoidant of this, try mixing in pure canned pumpkin or boiled sweet potato with her regular food. If at any point you see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food or water, pain in the abdomen, whining, pacing, sitting with the front end down and the back end elevated, etc. she will need to be examined and treated promptly. If this happens overnight, she does need to visit an ER vs. waiting for your regular vet to open as any complications at all could be life threatening.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse