Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Westie is on Enalapril and I give it to him with a little…

My Westie is on...

My Westie is on Enalapril and I give it to him with a little cheese. I gave him the cheese and discovered a pill still on the table. I could swear I had the pill in the cheese and now I’m worried about what will happen if he misses this dose. I don’t want to give him another in case a second pill just came out of the bottle with the first. He is being treated for a heart murmur.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He ihas a heart murmur and his vet put him on Enalapril. I am just worried about what will happen if he misses this dose. I always put it in cheese and did so a little while ago. Afterward I found a pill on the table and I’m not sure if it was a second pill or not. What will happen if he misses this dose. He’s on the pill twice a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He’s not hurting ... I am just worried about what will happen if he misses a dose of Enalapril.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He has only been on this medication since March 3rd.

3/13/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

This is not a big deal. I would just leave it as is and give the next dose as scheduled. It will not hurt anything if you missed the dose, but I would not risk re-dosing. The dog will be fine. Especially with such a short time since starting the meds. Good luck! :) I hope the meds work well for your pup!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Thank you. I really did not want to redose. This whole heart murmur has me a little rattled so when this confusion happened tonight, I got a little upset.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! Just by medicating your dog you are way above and beyond what most are doing. You are a good dog owner! Please do not worry, relax, and know that you are helping your dog stay with you as long as possible. Good luck!

Thank you again. Your reassurances and kind words are much appreciated.

You are so welcome! Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive compensation for assisting you today... bonuses/tips are appreciated. Good luck, and have a great rest of the day.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian