Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog isn't eating his food and is acting a bit lethargic.

Hi Pearl, my dog...

Hi Pearl, my dog isn't eating his food and is acting a bit lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie (Schnauzer) and he is 3.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

Not sure what is important honestly. He eats normally twice per day Ate dinner last night and breakfast today but hasn't touched his dinner

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He ate one somewhat medium sized raw french fry (chip in the UK) last night that fell from the counter. Not a full raw potato and very little peel on it - no sprouts coming up. Won't even touch the pumpkin we tried to give him to calm his stomach.

I doubt if the raw french fry would have caused him any problem, typing up your full answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Charlie is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and has lost his appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Charlie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I tell if he is running a fever? I've never checked the temperature of a dog.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. The only way this can be done would be by gently using a clinical thermometer rectally I am afraid. It is hard to assess just by touching the dog.

2. The normal body temperature for dogs is between 101 and 102.5 F.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian