Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female due with pups very soon and showing signs of…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a female due with pups very soon and showing signs of kennel cough, what can I do to protect her and pups?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the pup's name and age?

She is 4 and Cheyerne

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pup's name?

Cheyenne

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cheyenne?

Like I said pregnant and eating well and very close to whelping

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you tell me more about the symptoms you're seeing? When is she due to whelp?

She is eating and drinking well temp is 99.7 has been for 3 days but hasvdrybhacking cough
She is due at the end of the week with a large litter, what can I do to prevent puppies from becoming sick , as I believe it is kennel cough

Most kennel cough cases are viral, but secondary bacterial bronchopneumonia can develop and become a major health hazard for dogs. In some more severe cases, hospitalization may be needed. Because she's pregnant, I would recommend an exam and having your vet start your companion on antibiotics to prevent more problems in the near future. Your vet will need to exercise caution on which antibiotics will be option since we don't want to cause problems for the puppies and we do want mom healthy enough to care for herself and her young. Without addressing this promptly, I am worried that this could affect her ability to deliver her young normally and you may wind up carrying for the puppies exclusively around the clock until mom is better. Unfortunately, options for treating at home (such as using Robitussin to help with coughing) could potentially harm the mother and her young so it would be recommended to avoid going this route, if at all possible.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy