Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was bit by another dog and is bleeding from one nostril.

He was bit by...

He was bit by another dog and is bleeding from one nostril. I fillled a water bowl with ice water to try to stop the bleeding. Is there really anything else I can do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No, he’s a healthy 6 month old golden retriever

3/13/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. Great job to clean the area and try to stop the bleeding. Cool/cold water is often more effective to help stop bleeding (ice can be your friend).

If you are unable to get the bleeding to stop, there is a moderate to severe laceration or he seems very painful then you need to have him seen tonight. Otherwise, if you can control the bleeding, you can have him seen tomorrow. He will need to start on an antibiotic that will need to be prescribed by your vet to ensure this does not develop into an abscess. Most bite wounds will develop terrible infections, if left untreated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I think the bleeding is more controlled, it has slowed and isn’t dripping as much. I was afraid to let him sleep without talking to someone first and covering my bases. I feel comfortable letting him sleep. I’ll take him to be seen tomorrow to start an antibiotic

If he simply has a small bite, then this is safe to wait until tomorrow.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for giving me some answers and peace of mind, I really appreciate it!

You're welcome. Have a great night.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified