Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was fine until up to an hour ago. He just puked and…

Hello, my dog was...

Hello, my dog was fine until up to an hour ago. He just puked and now is swaying back and forth and has seemed to loose all his energy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Majority of the resources im reading says that I should monitor him closely to the morning Not that I am aware of... theres nothing he couldve eaten now that he couldnt have earlier today

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie and he is about 15 months shiba inu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

No, there are no other underlying health conditions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ill send over a video of the charlie so you can reference
3/13/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. Sounds like we need to figure out if this is a medical emergency or not for Charlie.

Things that would indicate this is an emergency is if he is becoming listless and you have trouble getting his attention or he has profuse vomiting/diarrhea especially if with blood or breathing issues or true seizures (I'm worried you are observing a seizure).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to submit videos?

I am not sure of any way unless you have a Youtube channel and can direct me to a link there. Sorry. You can certainly send pictures, although that sounds like it may not be helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, Im figuring it out now. I'll send you a link in a minute.

Standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://vimeo.com/259800057https://vimeo.com/259800165Here are two links to videos of charlie swaying and having a hard time gaining his balance.

These videos are great. Thank you.

This really looks neurological (primary cerebral/brain) because of the head tremoring. It could be a partial seizure instead of a grand mal seizure or simply tremors. That being said, I cannot rule out toxicity (could he have eaten something especially medication or a drug?) I also cannot rule out an electrolyte or glucose (blood sugar) problem without some lab work.

If this has all come on suddenly and perhaps is worsening (not improving) over the past 1-2 hours, then I would advocate have him seen on emergency tonight. Ideal if you have an ER facility that is during the day a specialty hospital just in case he needs to see a neurologist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, sounds good. Thank you for your help. I will continue to monitor and if his condition does not get better ill bring him to the emergency. Actually right now he has started to gain some energy back (walking around more), but he is still a bit wobbly.

That is optimistic and may indicate this was a seizure. However, if he is having these as episodes on and off tonight, then it would be considered cluster seizures and this is a reason to have him seen on emergency.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about this I made a mistake. I completely forgot that about 8 months ago a similar occurence happened when I left my dog at home with my family for the weekend. They saw charlie "wobbling" and having a hard time keeping his balance so my family took him to the hospital. After being admitted and staying over night and blood tests they couldnt determine the issue. They ended up saying that he mustve eaten some drugs. If this is not a case of ingesting a bad substance does it mean it is neurological? If so, what should I do? Neurological disorder does not sound like it ends well for the dog. Is it normal for dogs to have random eposides like this? What should be my next step?

I am sorry I did not get your response last night. With two episodes this makes it more suspicious to be a seizure or cluster seizures. It's tough to know the right direction. If he's completely normal today then I would make a note of the dates of these incidents. If he is not normal then I do hope you ran him in to be seen today. If he has more than 3 incidents in a 3 month time period and seizures remain highest on our list of worries, then you must have a discussion with your vet of use of medication.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified