Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe my golden retriever is in pain. She is arthritic…

Customer Question
I believe my golden...

I believe my golden retriever is in pain. She is arthritic and I wonder what I can give her to ease her pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the golden retriever's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lottie?

12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lottie?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this issue

There are so many options available to us now to help our beloved four-legged friends outside of the normal nonsteroidals (rimadyl, previcox, metacam, deramaxx). I will list them individually but all can be used in combination to assist your dog in getting comfortable but would not advise over the counter medications which are not as safe for a senior pet but also not as effective in managing pain

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort
6.) With Lottie's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!