Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My diabetic dog small 9 1/2 lb. poodle was given his second…

Customer Question
My diabetic dog small 9...
My diabetic dog small 9 1/2 lb. poodle was given his second 7 day shot of Convenia about 6 hours ago. 7 days ago he seemed ok from it but tonight he is acting very uncomfortable has drank quite a bit of water and just look droopy. Is this common. He was not interested in a small treat with a 1/4 tab of Gas X. What can we for him?
Thank you,
Barbara Poole
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.

It is uncommon to have digestive tract issues with convene since it avoids the digestive system, but this is possible. I would not repeat the GasX. Convenia is not without side effects, though.The most common side effect is an allergic reaction, more anaphylaxis type with difficulty breathing and/or facial swelling. Sounds like this is not the case for Puff. In rare cases we may see organs impaired (kidneys). My recommendation is if he is not himself tomorrow with his appetite and attitude or developed vomit/diarrhea then you need to have him seen by his veterinarian to do some lab testing to screen his kidneys, liver and pancreas just to be sure all is well.

As well, I am not sure what was being treated. Generally, this is a great antibiotic for a skin infection but probably not a great choice for a urinary tract infection as is common in diabetic dogs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your quick response. He also has IBD which could be the issue and not the medication

Yes, it is possible with the stress of a visit that his IBD may flare up. This poor guy. Do you have medication you keep on hand that works for this such as metronidazole or Tylan?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tylan and because he gets bladder stones meds for thst and an undetactive thyroid and meds for that. This is his second 7 day shot which i din’t knoevifvit caused excessive thirst and urination but it was horrible

Tylan is great, if he will eat this (hope his stomach isn't too upset). If he has a UTI, then it may be worth it to have a urine culture done. I do not find that Convenia is a great antibiotic for this system, unfortunately. However, since he has a sensitive system a urine culture would be one way to determine what type of infection is present and what can be used to clear it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the shit he received cause excessive thirst and constant urination? We made it through the night now he is drinking constantly and going out every 20-30 mins

I just looked up if this is a reported side effect of Convenia injection and this is not a reported side effect. With a diabetic I worry that for some reason his regulation is now out of whack. This can come from a urinary tract infection that is not adequately treated (therefore doing a urine culture may be the best approach to know if this antibiotic has worked and if not then what will). The largest concern is if he is unregulated he could become ketotic which is a medical emergency.

Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puff. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified