Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My as of today nine year old doberman seems to have done…

My as of today...

My as of today nine year old doberman seems to have done something to his back or it is just now happening. His brother had back issues and became paralyzed two years ago. I do believe Rexx has always had weak back legs and walked a bit odd. I believe they both inherited bad muscular skeleton,etc. genes. Anyway he has congestive heart failure and is on various heart medicines. He also has some significant skin allergies to grass, weeds that flair up his yeast. Is it safe to give him buffered aspirin to ease his discomfort? He can't seem to lift his head and is havine a terrible time getting comfortable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. Thursday the groomer came and clipped his toe nails and all seemed to go well. He does have very sensitive feet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rexx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rexx?

He has always had health problems,but mentally very tough. I don't think anything happened to him out of the ordinary. I think this is a progression and this is where he is at.

3/13/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

I ​agree with your assessment of neck/spinal pain. Tell me, do you happen to have any of these human pain medications:

Gabapentin

Tramadol

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

O​kay. What is the approximate weight, and do you have adult buffered aspirin 325mg or baby aspirin 81mg?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because of his heart issue probably a bit under 90 pounds. Sorry, no could run to grocery store and buy some.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found aspirin 325mg in first aid kit, so yes.
Waiting on the weight of the dog
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
87 pounds and I need to make sure aspirin can interact with his heart medicines and not cause loose stools.
The aspirin will not interact with the other heart medications. You can give 2 adult aspirin every 12 hours as needed for pain management, and use cold compresses on the neck and spine for 15 minutes once or twice a day.
Elevate the food bowls so that the dog does not need to bend down to eat and drink.
Remove all collars and use a harness instead.
If there is no improvement in three days or things get worse, see your veterinarian.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question. Can I give the aspirin the same time as heart medicine which is given with each meal?
that will be no problem to give them together. Good luck!
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian