Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can I stop my dogs from getting such foul gas from eating…

Can I stop my...

Can I stop my dogs from getting such foul gas from eating goats poop¿ i can't seem to keep them out of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bart is 4. And Murray is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bart?

He is mostly beagle. A rescue. Murray is lab pointer rescue. Both healthy

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

An unpleasant situation I know, but happily your dogs are not really at any sort of health risk, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

If you cannot stop them from eating goat poop then there are some things you can try to help reduce the level of flatulence. I have advised clients on this subject in the past many times, here are some suggestions.

1. Live yogurt added to the food on a daily basis can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations for example are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a couple of tablespoons each day.

2. Try adding activated charcoal or charcoal biscuits to their diet, this is an old but very effective remedy for flatulence. You can get these from better pet stores.

3. There are also commercial products which can help in this sort of situation, some owners use Beano it is a digestive enzyme, which has a very high margin of safety. You can give 1/4 tablet with every meal for small dogs to see how that works. Medium sized dogs can get half a tablet and large dogs a whole tablet. There is a dog version of Beano called Cur Tail which you may be able to get at larger pet stores.

To be honest in your sort of situation the best approach might be charcoal biscuits as part of their diet each day, low cost, easy to give and very safe. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

I think I will see if our local per supply has the charcoal and try that. Thank you for your advice!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I am just checking back in to see how Bart and Murray are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning their flatulence ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian