Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a razor head 2.5 ago and I am pretty sure he pooped…

Hi! He ate a...

Hi! He ate a razor head 2.5 ago and I am pretty sure he pooped it all out, he hasn't really had any side affects except for diarrhea just now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is almost 6 months old. He is an English Mastiff

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sebastian?

I tried feeding his cotton balls because a friend of mine told me she did that and it helped pull the razor out when her dog did the same thing. It seemed to have work but he literally bit through the razor so its been in many small pieces

3/13/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you. How long ago did he eat it? Was it 2.5 days ago?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was on Friday night at some point

Ok, and just to confirm, he has not had any vomiting right?

Is he eating normally?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vomitting, he's still had a completely healthy appetite, he went to daycare today and ran around, he's still wanted to go for walks, no more tired than usual, no blood in the stool and no bloating of the abdomen

Ok, great! So tell me about he diarrhea. Did that just start today? Just one episode? Have you been seeing pieces of the razor come out in his stool?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The diarrhea just happened once tonight about 15 mins ago. I am pretty confident all of the razor came out as of yesterday. But it's hard to tell because he litterally bit it into tiny pieces. There were no cuts in his mouth/throat or on his tongue

Ok, good, sounds like you did a great job assessing him. The diarrhea may just be due to irritation from the pieces coming through the intestinal tract. No blood in the diarrhea correct?

Do you have any Pepto Bismol?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No blood at all. I had pepto bismol tablets if that is sufficient?

Thats fine. How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Approximately 85 lbs

Ok, he can have 2 of the tablets. I would also suggest a bland diet for the next couple of days, such as boiled chicken and rice, cottage cheese, plain yogurt.

If the diarrhea doesn't resolve, or he develops any vomiting or decreased appetite then he probably needs an x ray!

Let me know if I can help further!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No that's perfect, thank you very much !

You're welcome! Please update me tomorrow, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :)

Sarah Snow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do both ! Have a great night !

You too!

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow