Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has severe separation anxiety and when we leave the…

Hello! My dog has...

Hello! My dog has severe separation anxiety and when we leave the house, he vomits every time. usually, it's pretty thick but today it was tinged pink. He's acting very subservient and demure, unlike his normal puppy excited behavior. should I be worried? and what would you recommend to relieve his anxiety?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?

No, i left earlier than usual so he didn't really eat or drink much that morning usually I leave around noon, today I left at 8:45

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

Um, he's a puggle. just about 6 months old, has had separation anxiety ever since we got him. He's normally very energetic too. he barks and howls the entire time he's in his crate and no ones home. we usually give him a frozen peanut butter kong, but that doesn't seem to help

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/13/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you tonight. What is his name? The pink tinge could be something he ate, but it could indicate blood. I'm going to need to ask some questions to figure out whats going on.

His name is Murphy! and of course, ask away!

Ok,

Is Murphy vaccinated?

Is it only when you leave the house that he vomits?

Anything he could have gotten into, or any change of food recently?

He is vaccinated. He only vomits when we’ve left and no, it’s a consistent thing

Poor guy! Any diarrhea? And how is his appetite?

He eats ok, not too much but not little enough for me to be worried! And no diarrhea

I can continue to help you here if you want while you wait for another expert to make a phone call if thats ok! (I am unable to make a phone call right now).

Ok, thats good. What times of day does he normally eat? So you usually leave around noon, and then when you come home you just find a pile of vomit, correct?

kinda, he’s in his crate when I leave. He eats sporadically, he never really finishes his bowl in one go.. but yeah there’s always a pile of vomit once we get home. Usually it’s not fully digested yet either

Ok, great, that is helpful. Did he eat his dinner tonight? Can you lift his lip and check that his gums are nice and pink?

he ate! Checked his gums and yep they’re nice and pink
He just woke up from a nap, and is a little more energetic
Could the weird behavior be because he exhausted himself howling and barking non stop for a couple of hours?

Ok, good.

If you have any Pepcid or some Pepto Bismol we can use some of that in case the pink tinge is blood. Their esophagus can get irritated if they vomit, especially if its for multiple days.

Yes, it could be.

I think there are a few things we can consider for when you leave:

I do not really have pepto bsimol or Pepcid, is there anything else you’d recommend?

I would just try a soft bland diet then if you can. I would suggest some rice, boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or plain yogurt.

Then at your earliest convenience you can get some Pepcid at the store. How much does he weigh?

About 15 pounds give or take

Ok, when you have time I would suggest getting some Pepcid. You can give him 1/4th of a tablet by mouth about an hour before you leave to try and help with the vomiting.

He may also be eating too fast, which may be why you are seeing the food undigested. There are special bowls you can buy that have ridges and such to slow him down, or you can try putting his food in a muffin tin - put some kibbles in each hole to make him slow down.

You may also want to try some background nosie for him, like a tv or radio.

There's also a product called D.A.P. which is a pheromone that decreases anxiety. It comes as a plug in and a collar. This may help as well.

We put on a dog calming music playlist, we have not yet tried the D.A.P. Is there a brand you’d recommend?

I recommend Adaptil - you can find it on chewy.com or Amazon!

Which version? I saw a couple! The comfort one?

Yes! Thats the one I use - it doesn't always help, but I have a lot of good responses to it, so its worth a try.

If none of those things work, you should discuss oral anti anxiety medication with your regular vet!

Thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome! Let me know if I can help further, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :)

Sarah Snow

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow